Wednesday, September 2, 2009

About 2 weeks later...LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!

I seriously needed to improve the lighting in the basement. A single light bulb wasn't going to cut it. Unless, I planned to do nothing but night racing.

My Dad recommended the same 75 watt 8 foot dual bulb fluorescent lights that he had in his for woodworking. He also advised me to get nothing less than the daylight bulbs for them.
I checked them out at Home Depot where he got his and about choked. If I got two of these lights with the more expensive daylight bulbs...I'd be spending more than I just dropped on the table.

So, they had 4 foot versions of the same light, but only at 32 watts. Then I found out they didn't come with a power cord because they were meant to be hard wired. That put another $15.00 on the tab for 2 power cords to connect to them.

I just could do it by the cost and decided to by 2 of the best 4 foot shop lights that Home Depot carried and the daylight bulbs. The shop lights came with a plug and all the needed parts to hang them other than the hooks I screwed into the floor joist.

Below it the BEFORE with just the one light bulb.

Below is the AFTER with the 2 shop lights fired up.


It turned out that the choice I made not only worked great, but kept around $60.00 in my wallet too over getting the 2 8 footers. The picture doesn't capture the night and day-light (pun intended) difference that these daylight bulbs make in the basement.
DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT ON YOUR FLUORESCENT BULBS!!!!
Pay the extra couple of bucks for the daylight bulbs. Anything less is just that...less light. If the bulbs don't say Daylight Bulbs on the packaging look for the Color Rating. It should be 6500K or K6500. I can't remember the number / letter order. If the bulb has this rating it is the same thing as the daylight bulbs.
The 2 lights are good enough for my taste, but I may add a third one in between the 2 I have now down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment