Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 2


(alarm ringing in the background)
I roll over and turn it off.
Stretching..."!#$&@! that hurts!"

(phone rings)
Dad: You alive?
Me: Barely.
Dad: We doing this or not?
Me: Hell yeah!!!

I had waited this long that I wasn't about to stop and let my body tell my head, "Are you freaking crazy!?!" "You want to move today?"

Once my Dad arrived we got started on the legs and got them all in place. We thought having the frame up off the floor and on top of a couple of saw horses and a pair of bar stools would make it easier on the aching bodies. Wrong!!! It was crawling under, stepping over, and squatting here and there even with the frame up off the ground.

After all the legs were done and a nice homemade lunch by the wife we snaked all the OSB pieces down stairs. Which confirmed that there was no way in hell a 4'x8' sheet would snake around the bend of the staircase.

Now this table was huge and getting it as square as possible was like watching a Three Stooges movie minus Larry. The table measured 7.5' x 18' and a light shove on this corner and that corner was a chore without going too far with the shove. However, after 10 minutes or so we called it close enough and started laying all the top pieces and clamping them into place. After lining them up the best we could we screwed done one end and called it a day.
We packed up all the tools except for the drill and clamps. Got everything into the backseat and trunk of my Dad's car and he left. I got in a hot shower to try and easy my aches and pains, but more importantly to get the stank off of me.

I did nothing to the table on Monday, but over Tuesday and Wednesday got all the top pieces drilled, countersunk and screwed into place. I figure the whole table has around 180 or so screws in it. The table is rock solid and my big ass can crawl on my hands and knees across it from one end to the other without an issue.
The best thing about being done was that neither of was had a mishap. Well, except for the drill bit I broke off in one of the 2"x4"s. Sorry Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment