Wednesday, September 2, 2009

It began with an idea...

I got the Scalextric Track Designer that came with the Scalextric RMS Timing System. Little did I know that the RMS System has issues and I'd end up chucking it. However, the designer program kept my hopes alive as I collected more and more track. I'd revise and revise again. Until, I came up with this 4 lane layout that I really liked on paper. So, the adventure was on to get all the pieces I would need to create the big track.




At first, I really wanted the Scalextric Classic Chicane Squeeze sections (black area of track) to make for some interesting racing. Who will chicken out and check up on their speed?
Who would go balls to the wall and hope for the best?

However, when I got all the pieces and set it up on the basement floor these classic pieces became an issue. No, not because of the possible carnage, (I planned on that...lol) but because of the depth of the slot. I had too many cars with guides that drug and chattered through that section. The worst was when I put my Slot It Lancia on the track. The front of the chassis caught the edge of the Classic track and flipped end over end. At that point those pieces were out of the picture.

I ended up replacing them with the Scalextric Sport Chicane pieces that are not nearly as extreme, but will still require a decision to be made by the drivers at that point of the track.

Plus, the guide depth issue disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment